We're on a mission to track down the nation’s last remaining thunderboxes before they disappear.
Before many parts of Australia were sewered, a trip to the loo meant braving the elements and warding off creepy crawlies to visit the backyard dunny.
To showcase this quirky but important reminder of how times have changed, we’re setting up a ‘Looseum’ – a one of a kind mini-museum at our Innovation Centre at Luggage Point Sewage Treatment Plant in Brisbane.
We are calling on residents to submit their photos, stories and memories of the iconic Aussie backyard dunny. The most interesting submissions will also feature in our ‘Looseum’ when it launches next year.
On reading about the dunny hunt, my mind immediately flashed back to a true story about a backyard dunny. "One day many years ago, in a Townsville suburb, my friend’s mother walked down the yard to the ‘outhouse’. She pushed the door to open it but it did not budge. She pushed the door again with the same result. She pushed harder and the door flew open to reveal her next-door male neighbour sitting on the throne".
I don't have a photo but grew up in the 1950/60s at Balmoral, Brisbane. I can remember on 'dunny' pick up day after the fellow had done his pickup with all the pans loaded, the truck would go down Main Avenue and do a sharp right hand turn in to Tandoor St. For the uninitiated if the driver took the corner too fast all the pans would fly out the door. We would often hear the driver scraping up the contents with the lids and my family would have a good laugh feeling a little sorry for him.
Thank you for sharing your piece of history for the great backyard dunny search.
You can share your submission using the hashtag #BackyardDunny and encourage your friends and family to share their photos and stories too!
1. The #BackyardDunny campaign (the Campaign) is being conducted by Central SEQ Distributor-Retailer Authority Trading as Queensland Urban Utilities ABN 86 673 835 011 (QUU) Level 2, 15 Green Square Close, Fortitude Valley, Queensland, 4006.
2. Submission of photographs and/or stories (the Content) for the Campaign is taken to be acceptance of these Terms and Conditions.
3. The Campaign and these terms and conditions will be governed by the laws of Queensland.
4. The Campaign commences at 9am Australian Eastern Standard Time (AEST) on Thursday 5 October 2017 and closes at 7pm AEST on Tuesday 16 November 2017. Content submitted to the Hootsuite online gallery after the closing date will still be received but will not be eligible to feature in the ‘Looseum’.
5. QUU accepts no responsibility for submissions not received by the closing date for any reason whatsoever.
6. Any person in Australia is eligible to submit Content for the Campaign.
7. The participant must be:
a. over the age of 18 years; or
b. if under the age of 18 years, the participant must have consent from a parent or guardian to participate in the Campaign.
8. To enter the Campaign the participant must submit Content either by:
a. posting on Instagram or Twitter with the hashtag #BackyardDunny; or
b. submitting directly to the Hootsuite online gallery using the ‘Enter Now’ button; or
c. sending via mail or email (this content will not feature in the Hootsuite online gallery).
10. The Campaign is in no way sponsored, endorsed or administered by or associated with Hootsuite, Instagram or Twitter and entrants in the campaign release Hootsuite, Instagram or Twitter from all liability arising from the Campaign.
11. By submitting the Content for publication you represent and warrant that it is your own original work, is not copied, and does not contain any third-party materials and/or Content that you do not have permission to use. You further warrant and represent that the Content is not obscene, defamatory or in breach of any applicable legislation or regulations.
12. Participants may submit multiple entries to the Campaign, provided the conditions of the Campaign are satisfied each time new Content is submitted. If multiple submissions are made different Content must be submitted for each.
13. QUU reserves the right to invalidate any participant submitting any Content, which contain objectionable content including but not limited to content that is illegal, fraudulent, racist, discriminatory, misleading or deceptive, defamatory, obscene or offensive, inappropriate for people under the age of 18, off-topic, or could negatively impact on the QUU brand.
14. Participants who have submitted Content that is selected to feature in the ‘Looseum’ will be contacted using the contact details provided to QUU by Thursday 30 November 2017.
15. By submitting the Content the participant:
a. gives QUU permission to use it in QUU’s ‘Looseum’ at Luggage Point Sewage Treatment Plant in Brisbane;
b. grants QUU a non-exclusive, royalty-free, worldwide license to republish it in any format including without limitation in print and electronic formats; and
c. gives QUU permission to use the details provided for the purpose of identifying the participant as the author of the Content.
16. There is no prize, cash or consideration for submitting the relevant Content. This is not a competition, it is a campaign in which QUU is collecting information for the purposes of display only.
17. QUU may cut, edit, crop or arrange your Content as we think fit to appear in the ‘Looseum’, and may remove your Content at any time. The participants name will be published alongside the Content, but QUU may edit or delete any comments which are submitted along with the Content.
19. The participant retains ownership of the copyright in the content as its author and is free to republish it wherever and in whatever medium.
20. QUU takes no responsibility for photographs that are lost, delayed, misdirected or incomplete or cannot be delivered for any technical or other reason. To the extent permitted by law QUU shall not be liable for any loss or damage resulting from submission or publication of the Content (except for death, personal injury or fraud, as a result of negligence).
21. Any entries that are submitted by post will not be returned to the participant.
22. QUU reserves the right to cancel the Campaign at any time and for any reason.
23. QUU has the right at any time to change or modify these Terms and Conditions.